Make an illustrated book to capture moments of your life. As we begin a new year, let’s draw the markers of time that we observe throughout the day or over the course of a week. We will make a special book to house the collection of drawings!
There is a sense of time passing in Jennifer Bartlett’s Four Seasons. Throughout all four screenprints, Bartlett illustrates meaningful markers of time through decks of cards—maybe this shows how there are things that we do during the changing seasons that remain a constant in our lives. For instance, in just one of the prints are butterflies representing spring, a time of growth and new beginnings.
- A rectangular sheet of paper or a paper bag
- Thin cardboard, such as from a cereal box
- Thin paper of your choice, such as rice paper or newspaper
- Drawing/painting tools of your choice, such as colored pencils, watercolors, or drawing pencils
Questions to Consider
- Are you going to capture a day of your life or an entire week?
- What moments will you capture? What things will you draw to share those moments?
- Maybe you went on a fun day trip one day and want to draw your family car or the bus you took. You could draw something wonderful you saw out your window! Maybe you had the most delicious lunch and want to remember it—draw it and you will!
1. Make the book by following the illustrations below: