"Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love" Opening Day Celebration
Photograph by Oliviero Toscani / © Patrick Kelly Estate / Image courtesy of the Philadelphia Museum of Art
The de Young is pleased to welcome the public, museum members, and donors to the free Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love Opening Day Celebration on Saturday, October 23, 2021.
Opening day festivities will include family art making, a live panel discussion, prizes, a photo booth, and more. See the schedule of events below for more details or view this map (PDF) featuring the day's activities.
Admission to the Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love and Judy Chicago: A Retrospective special exhibitions is free on October 23, 2021. Timed tickets for these special exhibitions will be distributed onsite during the event, based on availability and limited space requirements.
Win a prize by playing the Wheel of Fun, a free game filled with exhibition-related prizes such as Patrick Kelly-inspired clothing from local vintage store ReLove, postcards, and much more! The Wheel of Fun will begin spinning every hour, on the hour. Limited prizes will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Join us for a panel conversation honoring the legacy of Patrick Kelly’s fashion career featuring Dilys E. Blum, the Jack M. and Annette Y. Friedland senior curator of costume and textiles at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and Bjorn Guil Amelan, former business and life partner of Patrick Kelly, moderated by Laura L. Camerlengo, associate curator of costume and textile arts at the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Tickets are required to attend and will be distributed on a first-come-first serve basis. Visit the opening day fashion panel event page or view the program booklet (PDF) to learn more.
Join Swagger Like Us as they host a lineup of the Bay Area’s best emerging queer, transgender, and artists of color. Expect live DJs, musical performances, fashion, and more.
- 4–5:30 pm: DJ Charles Hawthorne will bring a soulful disco/house perfect for warming up the space and including a wide age range. Very choice selections!
- 5:30–5:40 pm: Sir JoQ (Jocquese Whitfield) will be the official host, as he usually is for most Swagger events. Jocquese is a San Francisco native, known for his vogue/ballroom dance and personality. He will do a one song performance, and continue to host throughout the evening.
- 5:40–7:10 pm: davOmakesbeats, Swagger Like Us resident DJ, will bring a house/global celebratory club sound perfect for moving into the evening.
- 7:10–7:30 pm: Mahawam, a queer, black, and openly HIV positive artist from Oakland will bring an upbeat yet emotionally felt show-stopping live performance.
- 7:30–9 pm: Lady Ryan, radio host of KALW, and Bay Area queer favorite DJ who has opened for Erykah Badu, George Clinton, DJ Jazzy Jeff and many more, will bring a wide range of soul, house, hip hop, and more.
Donors at the sponsor level and benefactor level, members of the Leadership Circle, and special guests are invited to an intimate reception following the opening day fashion panel. Proof of vaccination upon entry is required. Learn more about the donor reception.
Admission to the Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love Opening Day Celebration is free. Advance tickets are recommended to ensure access to the permanent collections. Free Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love and Judy Chicago: A Retrospective special exhibition tickets will be distributed on-site during the event, based on availability and limited space requirements. With the exception of the donor reception from 5–7pm, the Hamon Observation Tower will be closed to the public for the day.
Regardless of vaccination status, face coverings are required for staff and visitors at all times on museum premises. Masks may be temporarily removed for eating and drinking while seated in the museum or outdoors. Cleaning routines have been increased, and sanitizing stations are available throughout the de Young. Learn more about our rigorous health and safety measures.
The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco are committed to offering services that make its collections, exhibitions, and programs accessible to all visitors. Learn more about access at the museum.
Patrick Kelly: Runway of Love is organized by the Philadelphia Museum of Art in collaboration with the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
Diane B. Wilsey
John A. and Cynthia Fry Gunn
Additional support is provided by Mr. Hanley T. Leung and the Textile Arts Council of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
Opening Day Celebration Sponsor