- Hours + Admission
- Getting Here
- Group Visits
- Hotel + Visitor Packages
- Museum Policies
- Friday Nights at the de Young
- Artist Studio
- Teen Programs
- College Programs
- Make a Gift
- Patrons Circle
- Individual Giving
- Corporate Giving
- Foundation + Government Giving
- Planned Giving
- Travel Program
Galleries in Focus
Docents at the Fine Arts Museums help students to discover their ability to look at, think about and enjoy art. Working with small groups in the galleries, the docents encourage dialogue about the art, artists and the cultures represented in the collections. Tours available for permanent collection or temporary special exhibitions. Special exhibition tours are subject to availability.
The collections at the Legion of Honor offer unique insight into the art historical, political, and social movements of the previous 4,000 years of human history. Holdings include European paintings; European decorative arts and sculpture; ancient art from the Mediterranean basin; and one of the nation’s largest repositories of works of art on paper.
If your group is interested in a temporary special exhibition tour, please review the special exhibition options available before completing your request.
- Guided tours are for 4th-12th grades and Self Guided tours are K-12th grades.
- Guided tours are offered October 10, 2017–June 1, 2018. Tours are usually 45 minutes long, depending on the age of the group.
- Guided school group tours are available at the de Young Tuesdays at 9:45 am and 11 am.
- Guided school group tours are available at the Legion of Honor every third Tuesday at 10 am and 11 am.
Schedule a Visit
- Reservation requests must be made at least 8 weeks in advance of the visit.
- Guided tours are free. Reservations must be held with a deposit check of $100 made out to COFAM. Deposit will be returned to you after your visit. Checks are only deposited in case of no-show or cancellation with less than three weeks notice.
- Each Galleries in Focus time accommodates one class of 30 or fewer students. Larger groups require multiple time slots; options may be fewer and depend on availability.
Request a reservation online:
Resources For Educators
Prepare for your group's visit with our Teacher Guides.