- Current & Future Exhibitions
- Previous Exhibitions
- History of the de Young
- Architecture + Grounds
- Site-specific Commissions
- Get Social with the de Young
- Rent the de Young
- About FAMSF
- Board of Trustees
- Public Notices
- Governance & Fast Facts
- New Director Announcement
- American Painting
- American Decorative Art
- African Art
- Art of the Americas
- Oceanic Art
- Textile Arts
- Works on Paper
- Search the Collections
- Programs + Events
- Families with Children
- K–12 Students
- College Programs
- Resources for Educators
- Member Tickets
- Levels & Benefits
- Membership FAQ
- Member Events
- Reciprocal Membership Programs
- Member Councils
- Museum Store
Learning to Look K–3rd grade Reservation Request
Learning to Look—Guided Gallery Visits and Studio Art Activity Grades K–3
Tour and Studio Themes by Grade Level
- Kindergarten: Students will explore shapes and lines while learning about overlapping and patterning in a community-centered project.
- First Grade: We’ll be hunting for textures and patterns in the galleries so that we’re ready to work with clay in the studio.
- Second Grade: There is symmetry, balance, and repetition all over the museum. After some color mixing, we’ll see what we can compose.
- Third Grade: It’s easy to create rhythm and movement in music, but what about visual art? We’ll experiment with printmaking and see what happens.
Teacher and Curriculum Guidelines
Prior to the museum trip, teachers are asked to prepare students with the Learning to Look curriculum’s observation and writing activities in their classroom.
During the tour students are asked to observe and discuss a thematic selection of three to four artworks. Museum staff will use the VTS (Visual Thinking Strategies) method as well as in-gallery activities to encourage students to share observations, back up ideas with evidence, and discuss many possible interpretations of artworks viewed.
During the studio art activity students will be asked to make connections to and explore artistic processes related to the artworks viewed in the galleries.
Reservation and Scheduling Guidelines
- Reservations for the 2012-13 school year begin July 23, 2012.
- Guided visits are offered October 16, 2012, to May 31, 2013.
- Learning to Look guided visits are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.
- Groups are not scheduled on the first free Tuesday of every month.
- A minimum of 8 weeks' advance notice is required.
- Please note that the maximum size of a class group is 35 students.
If you are requesting a guided tour on behalf of a teacher please provide your contact information in the "School Contact" section below as well as the teacher’s contact information in the main section of the form.