Learning to Look—Guided Gallery Visits and Studio Art Activity Grades K–3
Tour and Studio Themes by Grade Level
- Kindergarten: Students will explore shapes and lines while learning about overlapping and patterning in a community-centered project.
- First Grade: We’ll be hunting for textures and patterns in the galleries so that we’re ready to work with clay in the studio.
- Second Grade: There is symmetry, balance, and repetition all over the museum. After some color mixing, we’ll see what we can compose.
- Third Grade: It’s easy to create rhythm and movement in music, but what about visual art? We’ll experiment with printmaking and see what happens.
Teacher and Curriculum Guidelines
Teachers agree to prepare students with the Get Smart with Art curriculum in their classrooms before visiting the museum.
During the tour students are asked to observe and discuss a thematic selection of three to four artworks. Museum staff will use the VTS (Visual Thinking Strategies) method as well as in-gallery activities to encourage students to share observations, back up ideas with evidence, and discuss many possible interpretations of artworks viewed.
During the studio art activity students will be asked to make connections to and explore artistic processes related to the artworks viewed in the galleries.
Reservation and Scheduling Guidelines
- Reservations for the 2016-2017 school year begin July 15, 2016. Requests will be processed in the order received.
- Guided visits are offered October 5, 2016, to May 26, 2017.
- Learning to Look guided visits are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 10:00 a.m. and 10:15 a.m.
- Please note that the guided tour and studio art activity require a two-hour commitment.
- Groups are not scheduled on the first free Tuesday of every month.
- A minimum of 8 weeks' advance notice is required.
- Please note that the maximum size of a class group is 30 students. Larger groups require multiple slots. All requests are subject to availability.
- Get Smart with Art is free. Reservations must be held with a deposit check of $100 made out to COFAM. Deposit will be returned to you after your visit. Checks are only deposited in case of no-show or cancelation with less than three weeks' notice.
- A minimum of one adult chaperone is required for every 10 students.
If you are requesting a guided tour on behalf of a teacher please provide your contact information in the "School Contact" section below as well as the teacher’s contact information in the main section of the form.