- Current & Future Exhibitions
- Previous Exhibitions
- History of the de Young
- Architecture + Grounds
- Site-specific Commissions
- Get Social with the de Young
- Rent the de Young
- About FAMSF
- Board of Trustees
- Public Notices
- Governance & Fast Facts
- New Director Announcement
- American Painting
- American Decorative Art
- African Art
- Art of the Americas
- Oceanic Art
- Textile Arts
- Works on Paper
- Search the Collections
- Programs + Events
- Families with Children
- K–12 Students
- College Programs
- Resources for Educators
- Member Tickets
- Levels & Benefits
- Membership FAQ
- Member Events
- Reciprocal Membership Programs
- Member Councils
- Museum Store
Get Smart with Art 4–8th grade Reservation Request
Get Smart with Art—Guided Gallery Visits and Studio Art Activity, Grades 4–8
Tour and Studio Themes by Grade Level
- Fourth Grade: California History: Native American Culture and Westward Expansion. In the studio we will create natural pigments and explore patterns inspired by natural elements.
- Fifth Grade: American History: Colonial–Revolution. In the studio we will experience the process of composing a portrait for a patron.
- Sixth Grade: Ancient Western Civilizations at the Legion of Honor
- Seventh Grade: The Art of Africa and Mesoamerica. In the studio we will sketch in response to art, using a step-by-step process, to build a composition with abstract design basics.
- Eighth Grade: American History: Revolution–Reconstruction. We will remain in the galleries and work directly from collection landscapes to create layered compositions exploring atmospheric perspective.
Teacher and Curriculum Guidelines
Prior to the museum trip, teachers are asked to prepare students with the Get Smart with Art curriculum’s observation and writing activities in their classroom.
During the tour students are asked to observe and discuss a thematic selection of artworks.
During the studio art activity students will be asked to make connections to and explore artistic processes related to the artworks viewed in the galleries.
Reservation and Scheduling Guidelines
- Reservations for the 2012/13 school year begin July 23, 2012.
- Guided visits are offered October 16, 2012 to May 31, 2013.
- Get Smart with Art guided visits are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 10:30 and 10:45 am.
- A minimum of 8 weeks' advance notice is required.
- Please note that the maximum size of a class group is 35 students.
- School groups are not scheduled the first Tuesday of the month.
Please Note: If you are requesting a guided tour on behalf of a teacher please provide your contact information in the "School Contact" section below as well as the teacher’s contact information in the main section of the form.