Get Smart with Art—Guided Gallery Visits and Studio Art Activity, Grades 4–8
Tour and Studio Themes by Grade Level
- Fourth Grade: California History: Native American Culture and Westward Expansion. In the studio we will create natural pigments and explore patterns inspired by natural elements.
- Fifth Grade: American History: Colonial–Revolution. In the studio we will experience the process of composing a portrait for a patron.
- Sixth Grade: Ancient Western Civilizations at the Legion of Honor. To book a 6th grade Get Smart with Art Visit, please use the Legion of Honor Guided Visit Reservation Request Form.
- Seventh Grade: The Art of Africa and Mesoamerica. In the studio we will sketch in response to art, using a step-by-step process, to build a composition with abstract design basics.
- Eighth Grade: American History: Revolution–Reconstruction. We will remain in the galleries and work directly from collection landscapes to create layered compositions exploring atmospheric perspective.
Teacher and Curriculum Guidelines
Teachers agree to prepare students with the Get Smart with Art Curriculum in their classrooms before visiting the museum.
During the tour students are asked to observe and discuss a thematic selection of artworks.
During the studio art activity students will be asked to make connections to and explore artistic processes related to the artworks viewed in the galleries.
Reservation and Scheduling Guidelines
- Reservations for the 2015-2016 school year begin July 15, 2015. Requests will be processed in the order received.
- Guided visits are offered October 7, 2015, to May 27, 2016.
- Get Smart with Art guided visits are offered Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 10:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m.
- Please note that the guided tour and studio art activity require a two-hour commitment.
- Groups are not scheduled on the first free Tuesday of every month.
- A minimum of 8 weeks' advance notice is required.
- Please note that the maximum size of a class group is 30 students; however, 6th grade Get Smart with Art at the Legion of Honor can accommodate up to 90 students.
- Get Smart with Art is free. Reservations must be held with a deposit check of $100 made out to COFAM. Deposit will be returned to you after your visit. Checks are only deposited in case of no-show or cancelation with less than three weeks' notice.
- A minimum of one adult chaperone is required for every 10 students.
If you are requesting a guided tour on behalf of a teacher please provide your contact information in the "School Contact" section below as well as the teacher’s contact information in the main section of the form.