Paid garage parking in Golden Gate Park's Music Concourse Garage and limited four-hour street parking on John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King Drives is available at the de Young.
Please note that John F. Kennedy Drive is closed on Sundays from Transverse Drive to McLaren Lodge. John F. Kennedy Drive is also closed to traffic on Saturdays from Tea Garden Drive to Transverse Drive April through September.
Weekend street parking within the park is severely limited. Tea Garden Drive will be open on Saturdays for drop off and pick up of passengers only. Museum visitors are encouraged to take public transportation, the weekend Golden Gate Park Shuttle, bicycle, and use the Music Concourse Garage.
Important Transportation and Parking Update
The eastern half of John F. Kennedy Drive (between Kezar Drive and Transverse Drive) in Golden Gate Park has been changed to include new bikeways known as cycle tracks, making the park more accessible to cyclists. To accommodate these changes, a number of parking spaces have been eliminated from the roadway. Please note these additional changes:
- Drivers will no longer park next to the curb but in a parking zone in the middle of the roadway that separates bicycle traffic from moving vehicles.
- Cyclists will ride adjacent to the curb, separated from parked vehicles by a three-foot bufferzone.
- Depending on the width of the road at any given point, parking may be available on only one side of the road or not available in some sections.
- When parking along John F. Kennedy Drive, motorists should use caution and watch for bikes as they enter or exit their vehicles and cross the bikeway.
- Bicyclists using John F. Kennedy Drive should yield to pedestrians who cross the bikeway and those using the buffer areas to get in and out of parked vehicles.
These cycle tracks are a project of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, in conjunction with the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department. To learn more about this project, visit www.sfmta.com. Select “Bike” and then “Projects & Planning.” Your feedback to SFMTA is welcome.
A video is available on www.streetfilms.org that shows how these cycle tracks are currently used in New York City. You can also visit www.sfbike.org for more information on this project and about urban cycling in San Francisco.
Music Concourse Garage
Parking for cars and bicycles is available in the Music Concourse Garage. Access to the north entrance of the Music Concourse Garage is from Fulton St. at 10th Avenue. Access to the south entrance is at Concourse Drive and Martin Luther King Dr. inside the park. The Music Concourse Garage is open seven days a week from 7 am–7 pm year-round, and parking in the garage is encouraged. Additionally, the garage is open until 10 pm on Fridays during Friday Nights at the de Young programming. Please note that the garage is not operated by the Fine Arts Museums. For garage information, call (415) 750-0741 or visit goldengateparking.com. The Music Concourse Garage Manager is Rich Cruz.
Music Concourse Garage hours and rates:
|Monday–Friday||$4.50 per hour (max. $25)|
|Weekends||$5 per hour (max. $28)|
|Special event/evening rate (after 5:30 pm)||$15 flat rate|
|Drop-off (less than 15 minutes)||No charge|
The Music Concourse Garage can fill up quickly, especially on weekends. Alternate parking can be found at:
- Ocean Beach
John F. Kennedy Dr. and the Great Highway
- UCSF Medical Center Garage
Paid parking ($3.00 per hour, maximum fee $24.00)
Irving St. near 3rd Ave.
Both these locations are serviced by the Golden Gate Park Shuttle, which runs on weekends and major holidays.