10:00 am–5:00 pm.
The Katharine Hanrahan American Art Study Center is located on the 2nd Floor of the Tower at the de Young and is open by appointment only.
Researchers should have a specific focus of study. Library materials are non-circulating.
- Microfilm collection of the Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art (unrestricted material only)
- Object files relating to the American art collections (Colonial to present), of the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Book collection relating to American art history (Colonial to present), exhibitions, painting, sculpture and decorative arts. Also, some material on contemporary international art and photography
- 19th century American Periodicals (on microform): Albion, Aldine, American Architect and Building News, American Art Review, American Art Union Bulletin, Art Amateur, The Art Collector, The Art Journal, Becks Journal of Decorative Art, Brush and Pencil, Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine, The Collector and Art Critic, The Connoisseur, Craftsman, Critic, Dictionary of Architecture, Dwight’s Journal of Music, Harper’s Weekly, The Illustrated Magazine of Art, Leslie’s Weekly, The Magazine of Art, The Monthly Illustrator, The New Path, Putnam’s Magazine, Round Table, Sartains Union Magazine, Studio, Watson’s Weekly Art Journal
- Trade catalogues at Winterthur (on microfiche) 18th to early 20th centuries
- The Index of American Design (on microfiche)